Sunday, April 5, 2009

Alas its time for me to write again. Tonight I am writing from my very own private room. I have not had a room to myself for 2 whole months now so I write with great contentment. I have music up, a towl on my head and a little snack in the microwave. Its strange, the microwave and stove are in the bathroom. Its really is not logical. Im in a town called Hastings working along side a church called “the living fath.” The other eight students on the team all went to billets homes in pairs but I volunteered to stay in this little shack. There is something I love about spending some time alone. All I need now is a fire place and rocking chair. Tis getting a bit chilli in here. Although I do have a blanket that heats up when I plug it in. Unfortunatly I have never been exposed to one of these so I didn’t know there were three settings, wow does it get hot. I have been sleeping in pants and a long sleeve so the hot blanket wouldn’t scald my skin. Up until right now! I just put the setting on number one. I feel the blanket is actually quite dangerous. But anyway this room is cool because I can stay up with the lights on as late as I want. Ive decided not to read leisure books anymore, if I have time on my hands then I figure its more worthwhile to get to know the bible better. I loved this verse I just read “satisfy me in the morning, with your unfailing love, that I may sing for joy and be glad all day.” Psalm 90:14. Beautiful.
Anyhow, I am going into too much detail again and a day is a terrible thing to wast so Ill tell you a little about our ministry week here in hastings. We have been doing some door to door evangelism. I have always had mixed feelings about this form of spreading the gospel but this was the task we were given and so I thought I may as well do it whole heartedly. Like a jehova witness would. Haha. Ill tell you, I have never had to rely on Gods strength so much. Going to my first door was scary. I sent up a quick prayer for the person on the other side of the door and shakily knocked. (I also secretly prayed that they would not be home, but of course they were). A lady answered and we told her we were from bible school and shared a little about ourselves… low and behold she invited me and my buddy nick in. after more small talk we asked her if she knew anyone who personally knew Jesus Christ. Silence for a moment, followed by the word “no.” this was the response of many people throughout our days. ah, makes my heart sad. Here I am at the doorstep and feel like I have a huge priveledge in knowing the truth. God has chosen me to be a follower of Christ and yet its very difficult to tactfully send this message to others. One neat thing is that no one can argue when you talk about a personal experience so I focused on talking about how God has worked in my life and that my joy is in his strength. I really wish I knew more scripture and theology but I have a lot to learn so sharing my walk with God was really all I had. I visited with one lady who had a very negative view of the church and left her door feeling like we had not gotten anywhere. I walked all the way down the street and just could not get her off my mind. I figured it may be God telling me to go back. So I just walked faster as I really did not want to go back. In the end I ended up back on her doorstep and gave her a small Gideon new testament and told her if she had some time, it’s a well worth read, that it holds the truth, and that it has changed many lives including minw. So who knows what will happen with that sweet lady. Before each door knock God knew which doors would be shut on us (there were many) and he knew which people would invite us in. I learned that everything is in his control and that we are just there being his feet. He is the heart. Pretty cool stuff.

**** back at capernwray

Yup, after this I will be on two week break and decided to stick around Cambridge. In sillyness I volunteered to cook for the easter service choir and staff members at school here for one weekend. I really talked up my cooking skills so now I am the one and only one cooking! For many many people. What have I done? Haha. I think ill purchase a chefs hat so I can at least look the part. And other then that, I plan to spend time with some of the girls from the church I attend, maybe do some painting at this other church and possibly work at a camp a bit. Save my travel time for july. Alls good. Ill write again soon.

Xoxo - ohliv

No comments: