Friday, February 13, 2009

Today we celebrated Valentines Day. We have learnt how to swing dance so we danced and danced the night away. The guys treated us very well. Some of them have let me cut their hair. Oh how I love hair cutting! I try very hard and it takes me a long time. So far they all think I know what I am doing.

I have been able to practice some of my nursing here which is great. I do sterile dressing changes for a girl who had a shoulder operation. I am not sure how they think I am qualified but I do it with confidence just like hair cutting since that seems to be working for me. There was a lady on campus wearing a shirt that looked like nursing scrubs so I asked her if she was the school nurse. She said “no.” I feel like she may never wear that shirt again and I will try to redeem myself. Hopefully it wasn’t her favourite.

I made a good friend named Naomi but I call her Na homie. She has had a very hard life and is someone I can learn so much from. We both cherish deep discussions but also value laughter a lot. Today we had lunch beside about a 100 cows. We watched them in silence and they watched us. You know your comfortable with someone when silence is not uncomfortable. There is an understanding between us that’s hard to describe.

Some food for thought…. I will be sharing for at morning tea for my devotion…. It’s a true story.

A chrisitan family from vancover raised a boy who we will call Tommy. Tommy decided to live an opposite lifestyle from his family when he moved onto the streets at 16. He became highly addicted to drugs and life was in a downward spiral. His family never ceased to stop praying for Tommy. In fact entire churches in the community were praying. Prayers were being sent up to heaven constantly for the recommitment of Christ into Tommy’s life. Tommy had no idea. Years later tommy was on the street and overdosed. As he lay in his own vomit he breathed his last words which were “Jesus Ok.”

“to truly know God is to spend time with him.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Olivia, I just read all your posts. I am a little envious of what you are going to get experience. It sounds like you are having an amazing time.

Kat Devuono said...

WOW! Liv... I mean Ollie?? :) You are so amazing. Beautiful inside and out, I am so proud to call you a best friend. May God continue to bless you and keep you safe (till the day you are back in my arms) Keep cutting hair and eating by cows!

Anonymous said...

Hi its mom. love your reading your blog, I've never blogged - erin is showing me how to leave a comment. thinking of you, miss you. many thoughts and prayers.
love, mom

Jayner said...

Hey Liv! Its awesome to hear about your experiences. It sounds like you will have many to put under your belt. And its amazing how well animals listen when you talk to them. That I know, pigs are good so sheep should be golden. Have fun, and stay safe. And most important keep an open mind. But you already are pretty good at that! Lots of thoughts and a hug!
~Jayner