Wednesday, February 25, 2009

11 pm. I am sitting in a hammock under the stars. Can see the milky way. Stars sure look different out here. I trick myself into thinking I can see constellations but I know I cannot. Never been able to. A lot of times people try to explain what I should be seeing and they point to certain stars hoping that will help me understand. No one should expect that pointing at a star would make me know which one they are talking about. Eventually I just pretend and life goes on. We are studying appoligetics right now and scientific proof that creation is correct, a lot of which has to do with the stars and solar system. Its so fascinating! Before this week I struggled to make it to 730 am breakfast which consists of toast and marmalade but now that appoligetics started Im there on time and sit in the front row with the fan blowing in my hair. Its real nice, that fan. I sat with a fellow at church the other day who was a very active listener and it was inspiring. So Im trying it out in these apoligetics classes. Nod my head a lot and even gave an amen today. The professor seems to be speaking right at me when I show interest. Ive been taking my little green journal to classes that a certain special someone (matt) gave me so I can write down stuff I want to carry forever. There is so much in this world to learn and I am delighted that this is just the beginning.

Hmmm, I had the most fantastic weekend at a place called finely park with people from my church. I haven’t had a lot of opportunity to hang out with kids so I tried that out and it seemed to work for me. There was this “rocket” that gets pulled behind a boat (similar to what we would call a banana boat) and I was told that all you have to do is hang on. Simple I thought, I can do this especially concidering I am about 10 years older then the other four kids on it. Embarrassingly I could not stay on this thing like the children could and they would say things like “Ollie just hold on tighter, ok.” Haha but then at least I was able to show them that I could knee board. Defiantly showed off a little with my mad skills. This weekend I realized how much I enjoy meeting new people. Mingling is an art. In closing I thought I would just share my list of goals that I created for my time here at Capenwray:

be observant to those who are struggling and spend time with them
be in the now. Live for the day.
get to know the professors, they truly are bodies of knowledge
do small things that make me happy. Pick flowers, bake an apple pie from the apple tree, play tennis, run till im exhausted, laugh till it hurts
travel. leave the school on weekends whenever possible
always meet new people
pray with other students
learn more about sheep
go for bike rides often and vigorously, for the lord of coursee
Run into the ocean whenever I have the chance. (I am really enjoying this, for some reason its more fun to run into the waves when your arms are in the air)

So I should go to bed here. Its work day tomorrow. We each have a three hour job to do each wednesday. Usually I ask to be assigned to fix a bicycle and so far they have let me. Its all self teaching but I think they think I really know what Im doing and I love it.

C u all. Your wonderful people.

2 comments:

Moving Forward said...

Liv,
i love reading your blog and hearing about your adventures! you're fun loving way of life is going to make you're trip truly one of a lifetime! I'm praying for god to make you a sponge so you take everything you are learning at school as well as in your life outside of the school home with you and that it will change you for the rest of your life!
much love,
jackie

Anonymous said...

love it! your gonna have to teach me all that creation/solar system/universe stuff ok? Actually maybe you could teach a few of us? i'll organize a group for you to speak to!

Love the goal setting too, your a gem. 'run till im exhausted' was on my list too, but the only problem was that i got exhausted before i got back home, so i had to walk all the way back haha.

keep on bloggin :)

miss ya
matt