Monday, March 9, 2009

I have so much to say! My goodness time is flying by. The three of my roommates are fast asleep as I write this so I’m trying to be very sneaky and type quietly. I love late evenings where I can sit in my bunk and recap the day’s events and what I have learnt. I often have a snack at this time but unfortunately all I have right now is rice crackers and they are about the loudest thing to eat.
So lets start with some news… I am a proud owner of a 1979 Datsun. It’s a very old car, the van idea did not work out. People stare. Maybe they are impressed? Ill be sure to post a photo. The car does drive stick and I have gotten the hang of that. Me and Naomi (the girl I bought it with) have had so so much fun in it. We have prayed in it, laughed in it, ran out of gas, gone on beach trips, and played some very loud music in it, with at least one arm out the window at all times. I am very thankful for her friendship. We have tried to make our vehicle pleasing to the lord so we are going to transplant a plant or maybe some moss into the cup holder (to remind us of nature, of course), and we always read a passage from the message before get into gear. The staff here also asked me to get my drivers license for the 10 seat passenger vans as they seem to think im one of the mature students that can handle this task. (also shift.) It’s a massive vehicle and I feel pretty responsible for the lives in it so I drive real cautiously. I ask the students to be quiet when I drive it for full concentration. No music aloud yet. I drove it for the first time last week and drive it every Thursday to something called “bible in schools.” This is where a few of us have been assigned to a classroom of 30 students (mines age 8-9) and teach them a bible lesson for half an hour each week. For a lot of the kids it’s the only time they ever hear about Jesus. My lesson this week is on generosity and Im really excited about it. Last week was an introductory class so myself and another girl brought the kids a Canadian flag and told them about stuff like frostbite, how we don’t have possums, and how the moons different. Then I got them to draw pictures of stuff to help me learn… One thing that I am having a hard time grasping onto is all the different meanings of the word “kiwi.” If you just say kiwi, its talking about the people who are native to new Zealand. If your talking about the fruit you have to say “kiwi fruit” and if your talking about the bird you have to say “kiwi bird.” It’s a learning process.
Today five of us girls made a video about beauty that we are going to show all the girls next Sunday night. No make up was allowed, plain clothes, undone hair. (twas a little tough for me!) We interviewed each other on what inner beauty means to us, what scripture tells us about beauty… etc and took some natural photos. (I think I posted a few, hence the ones of me alone).

I know my CMU friends love hearing about the differences between our countries so heres just a few to chew on
1. when there is lots of something everyone says “heaps.”
2. sandles are jandles and you cannot drive with them on. Barefoot is acceptable for driving of course, where as for us its illegal.
3. glow worms
4. people call each other “mate”. Clever I suppose if you don’t know somoenes name
5. many enjoy a disgusting “marmalade” on their toast. I cant even describe it but it’s a yeast spread.
6. tim tam slams


One of my roommates just woke up as my typing got a little vigerous… so goodnight!


Ps- mom, oddly I am remembering I had a dentist appointment this spring, would you do me a huge favour and cancel that. How are my renters? Paying on time? sorry, this is rude, ill just write u a personal email. Think of u oftenJ

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okok, time for another entry here ollie! i keep checkin and see the same beautiful pics, but i wouldnt mind reading a few more insights from 'the other side' (of the world)

oh wait guess what! it's soo nice out here all the snows melting, so i pulled out the old bike, pumped up the tires and when for a nice bike ride through all the puddles was fun at first getting all muddy (mom wasnt impressed with the dirty clothes), but i biked all the way out to the airport, and getting home wasnt as fun once my feet started to go numb from the booters i got on the way there haha.
missed you riding beside me.

luv
matt