Thursday, June 18, 2009


Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000168 EndHTML:0000005585 StartFragment:0000000468 EndFragment:0000005568


So this week I have been billoted out and am living at a pastors house in a city called Hamilton. This is ministry week where 7 of us students are assigned to a church and work along side of them and serve in any way can. Tasks include running bible in schools programs, running a youth group evening, door to door evangelism, sharing testimonies in the sunday service, worship music etc. I was asked to be a ministry team leader... Sometimes I feel like the least mature person on the team but I just have to pretend Im not and continue to wonder why I was asked. Maybe thats the devil telling me I am not good enough. In truth, I probably am not qualified to be a leader this week. A passage I have been reading is matthew 14. Jesus calls Peter to do something he is not capable of doing: walk on water... Jesus didn't say, "I'm sorry, Peter, but water-walking is for Messiahs only." No, he said “Come.” It must have taken a lot of faith by Peter to take that first step out of the boat in the middle of the wind and waves and he only took a few steps succesfully. Those few steps were only possible because his eyes were fixed on Christ. God calls us to do “impossible” things by faith so He can receive glory when they are done. Although I may feel totally unsure of myself I can be confident in Christ. The only thing in this world that remains constant is God. This week is not about serving myself, not even about serving others but about serving God. These names wont mean much to you but, Mattias, Rebecca, Julia, Helge, Leighton and Hilly all have incredible attitudes and we have all learnt a lot about each other and shared many laughs while enduring some frusterations. I think a measure of our attitude of God is shown through our trials. So ya, the group has grown very close. A few of us have spent quite a bit of time in my old car. The car seems to be making more noise each day. We removed one car part today which has improved a horrendous sound. Haha, oh we laughed. The car does not have power steering and my arms ache after so many roundabouts.


Anyway, it is nice to be living in a home for a week. Free internet is always a perk I just have not had time to use it. This family is so funny, they never put away their milk products so every night I find at least two full milks on the counter to put into the fridge. Today there was cheese and yesterday butter left out. But then as I lay in bed I remembered that not all families refrigerate butter so I got out and put it back on the table. I know, Im so thoughtful. Maybe their milk has extra preservatives, I cant figure it out. Its weird cuz the grocery stores here do not refrigerate their eggs. Crazy New Zealand. They also do not insulate their houses. BRR.


This family has 6 daughters, the one I am finding myself drawn to is 20 and has autism. Her Dad told me she calls me her best friend. Pray that I can find ways to relate to her and also be patient. Today I told I joke. You know the feeling when you tell a story that is intended to be humerous but no one laughs. So you hope that it can just be brushed off without comment... haha well the girl (Becky) blantantly points out how unfunny my joke was. Hah, I just turned the music up in the car and chuckled to myself about how beautiful honesty can be.


No comments: